1. Am I eligible to apply to the MMM program if my undergraduate degree is not related to Molecular Medicine?
The MMM program is multidisciplinary in nature, and attracts graduates from scientific disciplines such as: biology, chemistry, medicine and other related fields.
2. What prerequisite courses are required to be completed before applying to the MMM program at NUSOM?
A clinical or basic science degree is required. Prior experience working in a research or hospital laboratory will be advantageous but it is not a mandatory requirement.
3. What kind of applicants is the program looking for?
Broadly educated students with intelligence, integrity, energy, creativity and motivation are sought after. Acceptable applicants come from diverse backgrounds; small and large universities, large cities and rural areas.
4. What are the major selection criteria?
We consider the following factors in making a decision: GPA (GRE as optional), extracurricular activities, letters of recommendation, interviews, personal statement and an English language proficiency test.
5. What does the selection process include?
The selection process will consist of reviewing the applications and inviting the eligible applicants to the interview.
6. What are the grade requirements for acceptance to NUSOM?
Applicants with a GPA of minimum 2.75 (GRE as optional), IELTS of minimum 6.5 (with no sub-scores less than 6.0 or the TOEFL equivalent or the proof of completion of an academic degree from a university that teaches in English) are eligible to apply to NUSOM. However, submission of a complete application package does not guarantee admission to the MMM program.
7. Whom should I contact in the case that I have issues with the online application or are there any instructions available that explain how to complete it?
Instructions on completing the online application can be found in the applicant’s personal account (admissions.nu.edu.kz). You can also contact Admissions Department directly at:
53, Kabanbay Batyr Ave.
Republic of Kazakhstan
+7 (7172) 706623, 706143, 709054, 706568
8. Should I send reference letters separately?
In your application form, you will need to provide detailed information of your referees, who should be able to provide references written in English (or with notarized English translations). You will be asked to provide the email addresses of your referees on your online application form. Before you submit your application form, please check that you have included the corporate/institutional email addresses of your referees and that they have agreed to provide recommendation letters for you. Within 24 hours after the submission of your online application form, your referees will receive an email with instructions on how to submit the recommendation letter. The recommendation letters should be written on the letterhead of the organization that the referee represents, with the original signature of the referee.
If a letterhead is not available then the letter should include the seal of the referee’s organization/institution, with the original signature of the referee. A scanned letter version sent from the referee’s corporate/institutional email address (as indicated on the application form) is sufficient.
9. What if my referee wants to send his/her recommendation letter in a sealed envelope or does not have corporate/institutional email address?
If you do not have an email address for your referee or your referee does not have a corporate/institutional email address, your referee can submit the recommendation letter written on the letterhead of the organization that the referee represents or sealed (if letterhead is not available), with the original signature of the referee (we cannot accept electronic or scanned signatures), and sent to the following address:
53, Kabanbay batyr ave.
Republic of Kazakhstan
10. What is the exact time that the online application process will close?
Online application will close on May 12th, 2017 at 11.59 pm (Astana time).
11. May I resubmit my online application in the case that I find out something is missing in my initial one?
Yes. In case you wish to resubmit your application before the deadline set for online application, please contact Admissions Department.
12. Does NUSOM provide students with dormitory space?
NU does not guarantee a place in the dormitory due to limited space. Priority will be given to non-Astana residents.
13. Since UPSOM is a partner-university of NUSOM, will we be able to earn a dual diploma?
An MMM diploma will be awarded by Nazarbayev University only.
14. If I am accepted to the program but will be unable to start the program this year for whatever reason, will I be able to keep my state grant and start the program next year?
Deferred admission can be granted for 1 (one) academic year by the Admissions Committee with the approval of the Dean of the School.
15. Are international students eligible to apply to the MMM program?
16. Am I eligible for a state educational grant if I am not a citizen of Kazakhstan but currently residing here?
State educational grants will be offered to qualified citizens of the Republic of Kazakhstan only.
17. Will I have any obligations to the university after completing the program?
MMM students who were admitted under the state educational grant will not have any obligations to the university after completing the program.
18. If my application is rejected may I seek counseling from the Admissions Department as to why I was rejected and how I can improve my application?
You may seek counseling from the Chair of the Admissions Committee by sending an official request to the Admissions Department. You should address your request to the Chair of the Admissions Committee.
19. How many times may I apply to the program (e.g., if I am rejected two or three times)? Are there any limits to the number of attempts?
There are no limits.