1. Am I eligible to apply to the MD program if my undergraduate degree is not related to Medicine?
There are no specific undergraduate major requirements in order to be considered for the program. However, we require for you to complete at least two science subjects, including but not limited to, one year of biology with lab and one year of general chemistry with lab.
2. What prerequisite courses are required to be completed before applying to the MD program at NUSOM?
We require for you to complete at least two science subjects, including but not limited to, one year of biology with lab and one year of general chemistry with lab. However, it is preferable that you have completed the following courses: one year of biology with lab, one year of general chemistry with lab, one year of organic chemistry with lab, one year of math, one year of physics with lab and one year of English. In addition, we prefer that the applicants have also completed courses in the areas of humanities and social sciences.
3. What kinds of applicants is NUSOM looking for?
Broadly educated students with intelligence, integrity, energy, creativity and motivation are sought after. Acceptable applicants come from diverse backgrounds; small and large universities, large cities and rural areas; those who have purely scientific emphasis and those who have majored in the arts, history or literature; those who have pursued any from a wide range of extracurricular activities or professional opportunities (e.g. human service organizations, sports, arts, politics or other activities).
4. What are the major selection criteria?
We consider the following factors in making a decision: MCAT score, GPA, extracurricular activities, letters of recommendation, interviews, personal statement, essay and an English language proficiency test.
5. What are the grade requirements for acceptance to NUSOM?
Applicants with a GPA of 3.0, IELTS 7.0 (with no sub-scores less than 6.0) and an MCAT score of 491 are eligible to apply to NUSOM and to be invited for an interview. However, submission of a complete application package does not guarantee admission to NUSOM.
6. Whom should I call in the case that I have issues with the online application or are there any instructions available that explain how to complete it?
Instructions on completing the online application can be found in the applicant's personal account (admissions.nu.edu.kz). You can also contact Graduate Admissions Department directly at:
53, Kabanbay Batyr Ave.
Republic of Kazakhstan
+7 (7172) 706623, 706143, 709054, 706568
7. Should I send reference letters separately?
In your application form, you will need to provide detailed information of your referees, who should be able to provide references written in English (or with notarized English translations). You will be asked to provide the email addresses of your referees on your online application form. Before you submit your application form, please check that you have included the corporate/institutional email addresses of your referees and that they have agreed to provide recommendation letters for you. Within 24 hours after the submission of your online application form, your referees will receive an e-mail with instructions on how to submit the recommendation letter. The recommendation letters should be written on the letterhead of the organization that the referee represents, with the original signature of the referee.
If a letterhead is not available then the letter should include the seal of the referee’s organization/institution, with the original signature of the referee.. A scanned letter version sent from the referee’s corporate/institutional email address (as indicated on the application form) is sufficient.
8. What if my referee wants to send his/her recommendation letter in a sealed envelope or does not have corporate/institutional email address?
If you do not have an email address for your referee or your referee does not have a corporate/institutional email address, your referee can submit the recommendation letter written on the letterhead of the organization that the referee represents or sealed (if letterhead is not available), with the original signature of the referee (we cannot accept electronic or scanned signatures), and sent to the following address:
Graduate Admissions Department
53, Kabanbay batyr ave.
Republic of Kazakhstan
9. What is the exact time that the online application process will close?
Online application will close on April 28, 2018 at 11:59 pm (Astana time).
10. May I resubmit my online application in the case that I find out something is missing in my initial one?
Yes. In case you wish to resubmit your application before the deadline set for online application (April 28, 2018), please contact Graduate Admissions Department at email@example.com.
11. Does NUSOM provide students with dormitory space?
NU does not guarantee a place in the dormitory due to limited space. Priority will be given to non-Astana residents.
12. Since UPSOM is a partner-university of NUSOM, will we be able to earn a dual diploma?
An MD diploma will be awarded by Nazarbayev University only.
13. If I am accepted to the program but will be unable to start the program this year for whatever reason, will I be able to keep my state grant and start the program next year?
Deferred admission can be granted for 1 (one) academic year by the Admissions Committee with the approval of the Dean of the School.
14. Am I eligible for a state educational grant if I am not a citizen of Kazakhstan but currently residing here?
State educational grants will be offered to qualified citizens of the Republic of Kazakhstan only.
15. Will I have any obligations to the university after completing the program?
MD students who were admitted under the state educational grant will not have any obligations to the university after completing the program.
16. If my application is rejected may I seek counseling from the Graduate Admissions Department as to why I was rejected and how I can improve my application?
You may seek counseling from the Chair of the Admissions Committee by sending an official request to the Graduate Admissions Department. You should address your request to the Chair of the Admissions Committee.
17. How many times may I apply to the program (e.g. if I am rejected two or three times)? Are there any limits to the number of attempts?
There are no limits.
18. Will our diplomas be acknowledged internationally?
Please be advised that every country has its own requirements for practicing medicine. The primary goal of NUSOM is to train physicians for the Republic of Kazakhstan.
19. May I find the MD curriculum on the website?
Our curriculum has been developed in collaboration with our partner institution and is similar to the curriculum offered at University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine.