In 1996, Dr Matthew N Tanko graduated with an MBBS degree from the University of Jos in Nigeria. From 1999 to 2004, he had his post graduate specialization programme with the National Postgraduate Medical College of Nigeria graduating with specialization in pathology.
From 2004 to 2006, Dr Tanko worked as Lecturer and Consultant Pathologist with the University of Jos and Jos University Teaching Hospital respectively. In 2006, Dr Tanko was seconded to Uganda by the Federal Government of Nigeria as a volunteer technical expert. From 2006 to 2008, Dr Tanko was appointed Founding Head of the Department of Pathology and later on Found Dean of the Faculty of Clinical Sciences, Kampala International University, Uganda.
At the end of his volunteer service in 2008, Dr Tanko was employed as the Founding Head of the Department of Pathology of the Faculty of Medicine, University of Botswana He served as the Director of the clinical programme of the MBBS curriculum.
In 2012, Dr Tanko was a recipient of the Geraldine C Colby Scholarship under the Mayo Visiting Clinician Programme for the study of pulmonary pathology and cytopathology at Mayo Clinic, Scottsdale, Arizona, USA.
In 2013, Dr Tanko went to Israel to study Health Systems Management at the Galilee International Management Institute, Mizra.
He returned to Botswana and in 2014, Dr Tanko was appointed Vice Dean for Medical Education until November 2015.
In November 2015 until he joined Nazarbayev University in July 2017, Dr Tanko was the Interim Dean of the Faculty of Medicine, University of Botswana.
Dr Tanko also held several leadership positions in some government departments and parastatals including being a member of the Botswana Health Professions Council and a Board member of the Botswana University Hospital.
Dr Tanko has been passionate about Advancing pathology education and service in Africa and has pioneered the establishment of departments of pathology and training programmes including a 4-year Master of Medicine programme at the University of Botswana in conjunction with the Colleges of Medicine of South Africa. Under the umbrella of African Strategy for Advancing Pathology, Dr Tanko established strong links with pathology professional societies in Europe and the USA including the College of American Pathologists CAP), the British Division of the International Academy of Pathology (BDIAP), and the Scottish Pathology Network (SCN).
Dr Tanko’s research interest is in understanding the pathological features and molecular characteristics in cancers of the Breast and Gastrointestinal tract.
Selected Research and Publications in peer-review journals
1. M N Tanko, G O Echejoh, A N Manasseh, B M Mandong, A O Malu. Gastric histopathological findings in mucosal biopsies of symptomatic patients in Jos, Central Nigeria. Nig J Med 2007; 16(2):113-11. PubMed ID: 17694762
2. Godwins O Echejoh, Barnabas M Mandong, Matthew N Tanko, Agabus N Manasseh, Edith N Okeke, Emmanuel I Agaba. Hepatic Histopathological findings in HIV patients at postmortem in Jos University Teaching Hospital, Nigeria. Tropical Doctor 2006; 36(4):228-231. PubMed ID: 17034701
3. Dapar L P Maxwell, Aguiyi C John, Wannang N Noel, Gyang S Stephen,Tanko N Matthew. Histopathologic effects of Securidaca Longepedunculata on Heart, Liver, Kidney and Lungs of rats (African Journal of Biotechnology March 2007; 6:591-595). Available online at http://www.academicjournals.org/AJB
4. Dr B M Mandong, Dr A T Kidmas, Dr A N Manasseh, Dr G O Echejoh, Dr M N Tanko, Dr A J K Madaki. Epidemiology of soft tissue sarcomas in Jos, North Central Nigeria. Nig J Med July-September 2007, vol.16 (3):246-249.PubMed ID: 17937163
5. Nimzing G Ladep, Joshua Sule, Samuel A Ohayi, Matthew N Tanko. Inflammatory fibrous polyp of the oesophagus presenting with dyspepsia: A Case Report (Highland Medical Research Journal Jan-June 2007, vol. 5(1):96-97) Available on African Journals Online (AJOL).
6. Tanko N M, Echejoh G O, Manasseh A N, Mandong B M, Banwat E B, Daru P H. Cervical Dysplasia in HIV-Seropositive women in Central Nigeria (Highland Medical Research Journal 2006; 4:21-26) Available on AJOL.
7. M N Tanko, G O Echejoh, B M Mandong, A N Manasseh, A O Malu. Frequency of Helicobacter pylori infection in gastroscopic biopsies of symptomatic patients in Jos, Central Nigeria (Journal of Medicine in the tropics, July-Dec 2006; vol. 8(2):43-48).Available on AJOL
8. Echejoh G O, Tanko N M, Manasseh A N, Mandong B M, Ogala-Echejoh S E, Ladep G N, Okeke E N, Ugoya S O. .Clinico-pathological correlation of liver biopsy in Jos, Central Nigeria (Journal of Chinese Clinical Medicine 2007; 2(10):557-562). Available online at http://www.cjmed.net
9. Echejoh GO, Tanko MN, Manasseh AN, Silas OA, Ogala-Echejoh SE, Mandong BM. Liver cirrhosis in Jos, North Central Nigeria.(Jos Journal of Medicine 2008; 3(1):26-29). Available online at http://indexmedicus.afro.who.int
10. Echejoh GO, Tanko M N, Manasseh AN, Ugoya SO, Echejoh-Ogala SE,
Mandong BM. Hepatocellular Carcinoma in Jos, Nigeria (Nig J Med 2008; 17(2):210-213). PubMed ID: 18686842
11. Echejoh Godwins O, Manasseh Agabus N , Tanko Matthew N, Ogala-Echejoh Stella E, Silas Olugbenga A, Nimkur Tonga L, Mandong Barnabas M. Nasal Rhinosporidiosis: A Case Report. (Journal of the National Medical Association (USA) 2008: 100(6): 713-715. PubMed ID: 18595574
12. M N Tanko, A N Manasseh, G O Echejoh, B M Mandong, A O Malu, E N Okeke, N Ladep, E I Agaba. Relation between Helicobacter pylori, inflammatory (neutrophil) activity, chronic inflammation, gastric atrophy and Intestinal Metaplasia (Nigerian Journal of Clinical Practice 2008; 11(3): 270-274).PubMed ID: 19140368
13. M N Tanko, GO Echejoh, A N Manasseh, BM Mandong, AF Uba: Paediatric Solid Tumours in Nigerian Children: A Changing Pattern? (Afr J Paediatr Surg 2009; 6: 7-10) Pubmed ID: 19661657
14. Agabus N Manasseh, Godwins O Echejoh, Matthew N Tanko, Olubenga O Silas, Nuhu K Dakum, Barnabas M Mandong. Prostatic adenocarcinoma coexisting with schistosomiasis: a case report and review of literature. (Int. J. Med. Med Sci 2009; 1(3): 33-37). Available online at http://www.academcjournals.org/ijmms
15. Manasseh AN, Echejoh GO, Tanko MN, Silas OA, Mandong BM. Shistosomiasis presenting as pancreatic tumour with gastric outlet obstruction: a case report and review of literature. (Highland Medical Research Journal 2009; 6(7): 84-88). Available on AJOL.
16. Agabus N Manasseh, Godwins O Echejoh, Matthew N Tanko, Shola K Jegede and Barnabas M Mandong. Testicular Embryonal Rhabdomyosarcoma: A case report. International J Med Med Sci 2009; 1(11):470-472. Available online at http://www.academicjournals.org/ijmms
17. Vento s, Tanko MN. The Bacterium that could cause cancer. The Lancet Oncology 2009; 10(5):528 Pubmed ID 19410198
18. Cainelli F, Vallone A, Tanko MN, Vento S. Lymph nodes and pathogenesis of infection with HIV-1. Lancet Infect Dis. 2010 Feb;10(2):71-2. Pubmed ID: 20113975
19. Francesca Cainelli, Matthew N Tanko, Sandro Vento. The challenge of lymphomas in Sub-Saharan Africa. The Lancet Oncology 2010;11:611-612. Pubmed ID: 20610319
20. Cainelli F, Tanko MN, Vento S. Silica exposure and silicosis: Action is needed now. Southern Medical Journal 2010; 103(11): 1078. Pubmed ID: 20856176
21. A.N Ocheke, N.I Umar, O.A Silas, N.M Tanko, J.T Mutihir. Embryonal rhabdomyosarcoma of the cervix: A case report. Afr J Paediatr Surg 2011; 8: 95-97. Available online on http://www.afrjpaedsurg.org/text.asp
22. Mandong BM, Manasseh AN, Tanko MN, Echejoh GO, Madaki AJ. Epidemiology of gastric cancer in Jos University Teaching Hospital Jos: a 20-year review of cases. Niger J Med. 2010 Oct-Dec;19 (4):451-4. Pubmed ID: 21526638
23. Patricia Agaba, Thomas D Thacher, Chinedu C Ekwempu, Matthew N Tanko, James O Adisa, Emmanuel I Agaba, John A Idoko. Prevalence of Gynaecologic Morbidity in HIV-positive women: A comparison of treated and untreated patients. Journal of Medicine in the Tropics 2011; 13(2) :62-67. Available on African Journals Online(AJOL).
24. Matthew Naanlep Tanko, Francesca Cainelli, Sandro Vento. Infección por Helicobacter pylori y Epidemiología del Cáncer Gástrico:Pruebas y Controversias (Helicobacter pylori infection and the epidemiology of gastric cancer: evidence and controversies). Colección Trabajos Distinguidos, Serie Oncología Noviembre 2012; Volumen 22, Número 2:4-8. This was a distinguished article of the year.
25. Matthew N Tanko, Mukende K A Kayembe, Francesca Cainelli, Sandro Vento. Malignant Tumours of the genital tract among Batswana women.Ghana Medical Journal (Sept 2012; 46(3): 142-146. PMCID: PMC3645165
26. Maitseo K. Nwako-Mohamadi, Vidushi Madan, Matthew N Tanko, Sandro Vento. Psoriasis in an HIV-Infected Woman on Antiretroviral Therapy. Israeli Medical Association Journal 2014; (16): 262-263.
27. Sandy Mpho Mosenye, Jose Antonio Moulton Avarez, Rafael E Cruz Abascal, Matthew N Tanko, Francesca Cainelli, Sandro Vento. Systemic Lupus Erythematosis with Stage IV Nephritis in an African Girl. Israeli Medical Association Journal 2015; (16):394-395.