About the MD Program
The MD program is a professional doctorate degree which provides the competencies to practice medicine and the foundation to continue postgraduate medical training. It has been designed to be consistent with the model of graduate entry medical education and is competency based. The carefully designed curriculum structure features active and participatory learning, problem and team-based approaches, an early introduction to the patient and to the community and the integration of a rigorous foundation in basic and clinical biomedical sciences with the behavioral and social aspects of medicine. Key subject matter is longitudinally integrated throughout the curriculum, building upon a foundation of prior learning while providing a progressive introduction of new content. More detailed information about the MD program can be found here.
Requirements to enroll in the MD program
1. A bachelor’s degree and/or master’s degree (or equivalent).
2. A minimum grade point average of 3.00, based on a 4.00 point scale (or equivalent on a 5.00 point scale).
3. A mandatory level of English language proficiency equal to an IELTS score of 7.0 with no individual component falling below a 6.0 or a TOEFL score of 250 for Computer-Based Test (CBT), 600 for Paper-Based Test (PBT), or 100 for Internet-Based Test (IBT). Any applicant, at the discretion of the Admissions Committee, can be exempted from submitting the language proficiency test report if:
- one of their earlier academic degrees was earned in a country with English as the language of official communication, academic instruction and daily life;
- an undergraduate or graduate degree was earned in a program which was officially taught in English;
- the applicant is a graduate of Nazarbayev University.
4. MCAT score of 491 is required in order to be invited to an interview
Application package checklist
1. Completed Application Form that can be accessed after registration at http://admissions.nu.edu.kz.
2. Two (minimum) to four (maximum) confidential letters of recommendation in English from senior faculty who taught the applicant in the course designated on his/her Application Form. At least two letters must be from faculty in science departments.
3. Notarized copy(s) of bachelor’s and (if available) master’s degree diploma(s) with transcript(s) (or equivalent) with a notarized English translation. Applicants who obtained bachelor’s and/or master’s degree diplomas (or their equivalents) from foreign educational institutions must request their official transcript(s) to be sent directly to the Graduate Admissions Department.
4. IELTS or TOEFL test report/certificate. In order for the score to be valid, the submitted IELTS/TOEFL score must be for a test taken no more than two years prior to application.
5. MCAT score. In order for the score to be valid, the submitted MCAT scores must be for a test taken no more than two years prior to application.
6. Valid written certification of the absence of a criminal record, issued by the Citizen Service Center.
7. Medical certificate (086у form).
8. Notarized scanned copy of the applicant’s identity card (with notarized English translation) or passport.
The application package should be marked “NUSOM” and mailed or delivered to the following address: Graduate Admissions Department, Office #1127, Nazarbayev University, 53 Kabanbay Batyr Avenue 010000, Astana, Kazakhstan.