Applicants applying to the Residency Program are expected to have:
- MD or an equivalent terminal medical degree (highest level medical qualification which provides the eligibility to obtain registration or certification to practice as independent practitioner in the country), obtained in a recognized university according to the World Directory of Medical Schools. During the application period final year students may submit official current transcripts for consideration. Applicants recommended for admission must provide final transcript and diploma before the end of the Program’s enrollment term.
- An overall IELTS test score of 7.0 or higher (with no sub-scores less than 6.0 in each section), or the equivalent TOEFL score as posted on the ETS website.
- IFOM Basic Science Exam (BSE) or USMLE Step1 test report.
- High level of motivation and strong interest in the Program outlined in the personal statement.
- 2 (two) confidential letters of recommendation.
The relevance of the academic and experiential background, and the equivalency and appropriateness of earlier degrees, will be determined by the Admissions Committee.
Applicants to the Program, at the discretion of the Admissions Committee, can be exempted from submitting the language proficiency test report if:
- MD or equivalent terminal medical degree was earned in a country with English as the language of official communication, academic instruction and daily life;
- MD or equivalent terminal medical degree was earned in a program which was officially taught in English;
- the applicant is a graduate of Nazarbayev University.
Application package checklist for the Residency Program
- Complete application form on admissions website.
- National ID or passport.
- Official document confirming name change (if applicable).
- MD or equivalent terminal medical diploma with transcript.
- IELTS or TOEFL test report/certificate valid as of date of online documents submission to the Programs (if applicable).
- IFOM Basic Science Exam (BSE) or USMLE step 1 test report.
- Two confidential letters of recommendation written within the last 12 months from academic or clinical referees preferably related to the specific residency program (to be provided by referees electronically or in hard copy).
- Personal statement (up to 500 words).
- 086у medical certificate (for Kazakhstani candidates) or a similar medical certificate with indication of general health or other document as requested by the University (for international candidates).
- Document stating the presence or absence of a criminal record.
- Consent for Applicant’s/Student’s personal data processing.