The PhD Program in Biomedical Sciences at the School of Medicine Nazarbayev University is a four-year full-time research based program according to international standards accompanied by core courses and a variety of elective courses depending on the background of the student and the project of the PhD thesis. It is open to Master students of different life sciences as well as MD students with prior research experience. It gives graduates of the Master programs a possibility to obtain an internationally recognized PhD in the field of Biomedical Sciences. The School of Medicine is in a unique position to offer this program as it has state-of-the-art laboratory facilities as well as close links to the hospitals and clinics in Nur-Sultan city and particularly within NU Medicine, the cluster of research centers, University Medical Centers and NUSOM. This program aims to bridge the gap between basic science and medicine.
Student graduating from the PhD Program at Nazarbayev University will be trained to independently conduct scientific research in the field of biomedical sciences in an academic or industrial environment. Biomedical scientists may use their knowledge of biomedical research to:
- Be part of a multidisciplinary team of scientists to solve problems of different illnesses
- Conduct cutting-edge research creating new knowledge and advances
- Translate discoveries and inventions from fundamental level to application in an industrial setting
- Manage and coordinate scientific projects (national and international)
- Teach at national and international universities
- Work in government advising policy makers about scientific matters related to health and disease development