RESEARCH ASSISTANT in Forecasting Infectious Diseases (full-time)
NUSOM invites applications for the position of RESEARCH ASSISTANT (RA). We are looking for a passionate and highly skilled person who will be able to work on a research project aimed to develop a public health surveillance system to monitor and forecast communicable disease burden in Kazakhstan, especially airborne and blood-borne infections. The successful candidate will be analyzing large-scale nationwide administrative healthcare data to study the epidemiological characteristics of airborne and blood-borne infections in Kazakhstan. The overarching goal of the project is to develop a research center for infectious disease control and prevention using advanced epidemiological, mathematical, and machine learning techniques. The RA will be part of the multi-disciplinary team, have opportunities to publish in international peer-reviewed journals, and attend international conferences.
- Extract and organize raw data.
- Analyze and interpret data using statistical software.
- Assist with the interpretation of results and assist in manuscript preparation and publication.
- Ensure an overall timely and smooth implementation of the project by providing administrative support with all project activities.
- Prepare regular reports and budgets related to the project.
Required Qualifications and skills:
- Master’s degree holder in public health, biostatistics, epidemiology, or a related discipline; additionally, having an MD degree is preferable.
- Experience in the epidemiologic research methodology, prior research experience (involved projects, publications, etc.) would be preferable.
- Experienced user of statistical software STATA, as well as an R or other statistical software.
- Experience in providing visual aids using various graphical tools (GraphPad Prism, Microsoft Excel, PPT, etc).
- Additional skills in Python and MATLAB are desirable (optional).
- Demonstration of independence and problem-solving in analyzing complex population-based health administrative data.
- Fluency in English, Russian, and/or Kazakh languages.
The successful applicant will receive a competitive salary and the appointment will be initially for one year with the possibility of renewal up to three years. The starting date is April – May 2021. The exact date will be defined. Final year MPH students waiting for their results are encouraged to apply as well.
Interested candidates are advised to send their applications with a cover letter and CV with the subject “RA position Forecasting Infectious Diseases” to firstname.lastname@example.org, Abduzhappar Gaipov.